Eating with braces
If you have been fitted with braces, your lifestyle won't change too much, but there are a few foods that you'll need to avoid. Here's a guide on what to eat - and what not to eat - while undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- eat a healthy, varied diet
- cut up food into smaller pieces to enable your teeth to chew it more easily
- get your five a day with the help of smoothies and soups
- drink plenty of water
- brush your teeth after every meal and snack
- eat hard, chewy or sticky lollies, like toffee as these can damage your braces
- bite into hard foods such as apples or carrots. Grate them instead - they still taste good.
- consume excessive amounts of sugary drinks
- eat popcorn as it can get stuck in your braces
- chew gum, bite your nails or nibble on the end of pencils. These habits can all damage your braces.