Looking after your retainers
When your braces are removed it is important your teeth are retained in their new, straighter positions to allow the supporting bone and soft tissue to grow back around the teeth again. It is for this purpose that retainers were designed.
Things to remember:
- You are advised to wear your retainers all day and night for two-to-three months, then sleep with them in every night.
- Modern thinking is that retainers should be worn for as long as you want your teeth to be straight.
- Teeth move all throughout our life, the best way to guarantee keeping your teeth straight is to continue to wear your retainers at night.
- If you do not wear your retainers as instructed, your teeth may move back towards how they were before treatment.
- Please do not spoil the result you have worked so hard for by not wearing your retainers as advised.